History of Roopville Elementary
1851 - The first school was built in 1851. It was a double log building with one large room and no windows although it did have a large doorway and a fireplace for heat. This building served as a church and a town meeting house as well as a school until 1871.
1881 - Another double log building with a rail fences was built but it burned in 1881. The next school built was the Henry Grady Institute. It started out with three classrooms on the ground floor and an auditorium upstairs.
1925 - Two additional rooms and a porch were added in 1925. The Henry Grady Institute was a ten grade school so students went on to graduate at Bowdon or Carrollton High or the A&M school (later to become West Georgia College).
1932 - The town fathers decided that a bigger and better school was needed. This new building would have a gymnasium which could also be used as an auditorium.
1947 - The community banded together to build a new lunchroom out of reclaimed materials from an old army barracks.
1949 - The first school annual was published in 1949. It was entitled “The Torch” by a popular vote of the 8th grade class.
1956 - The school became known as the Roopville Hornets, and in 1956 the annual was renamed “The Hornet.”
1959 - In the spring of 1959, Roopville High School was consolidated with Whitesburg High School to form the new Central High School in Carroll County. For that reason, the school annual was re-titled “The End.”
1976 - The Roopville Elementary building was built. The old building was used for a few years for community events until it was torn down due to the cost of needed improvements.
The Roopville Alma Mater
Lyrics by Miss Paloma Wiggins of Carrollton, who taught at Roopville for a short time
High upon the ridge of Roopville
Stands a school so dear;
Calling upward, pointing onward,
Making wisdom clear.
Hail to thee; O Alma Mater,
Songs of love we sing -
And thy name we’ll always cherish,
Hear our praises ring.
Stands in glory there at Roopville,
Loved by all the town;
Held by ties that can’t be broken,
Known for miles around.